My ex won’t pay child support, what can I do?

On behalf of Stange Law Firm, PC posted in child support on Sunday, July 7, 2019.

Both parents are obligated to invest in their child’s well-being. This includes a financial investment, which often involves the non-custodial parent making child support parents to help the parent with primary custody provide for the child. But what if your ex refuses to make payments as ordered by the court? The Administration for Children & Families answers your questions so you can take the right steps to address the issue.

What is income withholding?

Income withholding or wage garnishment is when a portion of a person’s paycheck is kept to cover child support expenses. The amount taken is calculated based on a number of factors, including the non-custodial parent’s income and expenses. This process can begin soon after payments have ceased. In some cases, withholding can occur just one month after a missed payment. Income withholding can cover current payments as well as back child support payments.

What about those who are paid “under the table”?

Income withholding might not work for everyone. In this case, other methods will be used to ensure payments are made as obligated by the court. A person’s license can be revoked, and this includes driver’s licenses as well as professional licenses. The issue may also be reported to the credit bureau, which impacts the person’s credit score. In extreme cases, a person may even be jailed for failing to keep current with child support payments.

Can my ex’s property be seized?

This typically depends on the state. While it’s true that a lien on property can be issued by the child support office, this may only prevent the person from selling their property. In other cases, property may be seized and used to cover missed child support payments. If you’re awaiting payments, speak with an attorney to determine the best way forward.

Related Posts